As a dad, I put a lot of frustration: why are there so few children

"Papa, can you please do that for me?" My daughter looks at me sadly and keeps me the controller. Such situations have been more common at home in the past few weeks. Because just in the time when I would like to inspire my almost five -year -old offspring a little more for video games, I push more on an obstacle with which I had not necessarily expected before - because I simply didn't think about it beforehand.

And this problem is pretty easy to name. Because no matter which console - whether PS5, Xbox Series X or Nintendo Switch - I play with her, the controllers for their delicate children's hands are simply too big! So it cannot keep the pads sensible and then, especially in situations in which several inputs are necessary on both sides of the controller - for example, press the simultaneous to the front of the analog stick and jump at Paw Patrol Mighty Pups becomes a frustrating undertaking.

Because she knows what she has to do cognitively, but does not physically manage it, due to the too large controller dimensions. And that only leads to the initially described question and a little later to the frustrated demolition because she would like to make it completely alone.

Chad Daniels Stand-up Tobias Veltin

__@Frischerveltin

Tobi has been an editor at the Xbox Series since 2009. His favorite genres are shooters and racing games and games are also his great passion apart from video games. He loves football and billiards and is constantly expanding his board game collection. By the way, he has nothing to do with the beer brand of the same name. Unfortunately.

The selection is still pretty small

That's why I recently asked myself the question: Why are there so few children's controllers? Because there is already it. A search at Amazon, for example, provides about a few isolated results that have also been successful according to the reviews. Nevertheless, I am surprised by the small selection, because even in the local Media Markt or Saturn only "normal large" controllers hang on the accessory shelves. So is there no big demand for children's controllers? To be honest, I can't imagine that, after all, more and more young people play, so the need for child -friendly controllers should be there.

Especially with the Switch, I find it disappointing that there is no dedicated first party input device for the little ones. Sure, the Joy-Con are pretty small, but also a bit fiddly. I would rather blame anything like Microsoft's adaptive controller. Completely modular, with large buttons and input options that make coordination easier for children. Especially since Nintendo yes, some play special "easy modes" that only require a few inputs. The clever control in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is such an example that I like as a dad extremely well:

__25 __6

more on the subject

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: As a dad, I particularly hired a function

__

But even here it is sometimes difficult for my daughter to keep the controller in a pleasant way for her. And that also frustrates me as a dad because I know that it should actually be better.

potential for modular "wax" controller?

Only that it is not misunderstood: I definitely don't ask for console manufacturers to put a children's controller in the box by default. But I would like that at least for each of the consoles there is a correspondingly tailored pad "from your own house".

And this does not necessarily mean that it only has to be small versions of the normal controllers, which at some point may be too small again. I am also aware that every child is different and it will be difficult to offer an "average children's controller". But what speaks against a "growing" controller? So a modular system that can then be expanded bit by bit depending on the age. With some children's utensils, such as high chairs, this has been around forever and at least it would be a nice hardware idea. Yes, I mean you, dear third party!

I admit that of course a very frustrated dad speaks of me and whoever has no children will probably see this "problem" as a trifle. But if you have seen how children's eyes shine when something new is done on your own, you will almost safely support my wish for more children's controllers.

What about you: do your children get along better with the standard controllers?

Comments

Popular Posts